As we protect 10% of Canada’s oceans, what about the remaining 90% of our coastal and marine areas? We can all agree that we need to manage our oceans sustainably, but how do we do this while ensuring that all sectors continue to benefit from the oceans?
Paul Snelgrove, Network Director of Canadian Health Oceans Network (CHONe), will begin this panel with an overview of where Canada is at when it comes to marine protection. We know that only 1% of our oceans are protected, but where are the existing protected areas, what are the ecosystems that are protected, and what are these protected areas accomplishing?
After this overview, we will launch a discussion about how Canada can reach our target of 10% by 2020 while ensuring both proper consultation and effective protection, despite the ambitious timelines. You’ll hear from Bruce Turris from the Pacific Integrated Groundfish Harvesters Group, who brings to the panel his experience creating innovative management measures to reduce impacts on corals and sponges; Chief Bob Chamberlin from the Union of BC Indian Chiefs and his perspectives on both co-management and co-operative management; and Faith Scattalon, former Regional Director-General at Fisheries and Oceans Canada, who led the efforts to create The Gully Marine Protected Area, protecting the largest underwater canyon in North America.
Guided by our moderator David VanderZwaag, Professor of Law and Canada Research Chair in Ocean Law and Governance, this panel will explore questions like, what needs to happen to replicate successful examples like The Gully and Gwaii Hanaas? Can it be done? How do we do it faster? Do we need minimum standards for what activities are allowed within the boundaries of marine protected areas? How do we do all this with proper consultation? How can we do it without losing effectiveness?
As we think about protecting 10% of Canada’s oceans, it’s critical that we also turn our minds to the remaining 90% of our coastal and marine areas. While we all agree that we need to manage our oceans sustainably, how can we do this so that we’re considering all of Canada’s existing and emerging ocean uses, the interplay between them, and the health of our marine ecosystems?
After a short film describing the success of a marine planning exercise that took place in Rhode Island, we’ll start a discussion on how Canada can ensure a comprehensive approach to managing our oceans that integrates the uses and objectives of all sectors and stakeholders.
Dallas Smith, Board President of the Nanwakolas Council, will share his experiences working the Marine Plan Partnership for the North Pacific Coast; Sharon Ehaloak brings years of co-management governance experience to the discussion from her work as the Executive Director of the Nunavut Planning Commission; David Martin will shed light on shipping industry perspectives, from his role as President of Bromart Holdings, and Director at CSL Group; and Jake Rice, Chief Scientist Emeritus at Fisheries and Oceans Canada, will talk about how without integrated ocean governance there is no biodiversity.
Bringing these voices together is our moderator Lucia Fanning, Professor in the Marine Affairs Program at Dalhousie University. The panelists and Ms. Fanning will explore questions like how can we make marine planning work across Canada? How can we integrate community voices, and also ensure that indigenous rights and title are respected? How can we ensure a comprehensive approach to managing our oceans that integrates the uses and objectives of all sectors and stakeholders?
From sea level rise to acidification, we are all keenly aware of the impact of climate change on our oceans, but we’re left with the question: what can we do about it?
Rashid Sumaila, Rashid Sumaila, Professor and Project Director of OceanCanada Partnership, Fisheries Economics Research unit at UBC, will give attendees a “primer” on the impacts of climate change on Canada’s oceans, and what steps we as individuals can take to mitigate those impacts.
From this starting point Alanna Mitchell, science journalist and author of Sea Sick: Ocean in Crisis, will take us through a panel discussion moving from using the oceans to support climate change mitigation, to successful examples of climate change adaptation in our coastal communities. Elisa Obermann, Executive Director of Marine Renewables Canada, will update us on the progress and success of the marine renewables industry in Canada. Her stories will be followed by a discussion of ocean acidification and coastal adaptation to storm surge by Susan Allen, a physical oceanographer whose work focuses on the Salish Sea, and by David Atkinson, a research scientist and professor who looks at storm winds and complicating conditions like sea-ice and frozen ground, and how to work with the coastal communities that are impacted by these conditions.